THE APAPA NEW YORK STATE CAPITAL DISTRICT INTERNSHIP PROGRAM(Summer 2018)
Application Deadline: April 15, 2018
The APAPA New York State Capitol Internship Program is designed to prepare college students to become future leaders in our greater community. This program provides an opportunity for students to develop their leadership skills, gain public policy experience and become civically engaged.
The internship program will develop:
- Political awareness and civic engagement
- Understanding of government and legislative processes
- Professional and leadership qualities
- Networking skills
- Work 100 hours minimum in your assigned office. The hours are flexible depending on the placement office and can be distributed over the summer of the entire length of the internship program.
- Register ten (10) people to vote
- Attend mandatory workshops. Workshops include leadership training, public speaking, and voter’s registration.
- Complete an evaluation form after finishing your requirements
Applicants will be selected on the basis of:
- Demonstrated leadership
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Community Service
- Grade point average
The program is open to all New York resident undergraduate and graduate college students with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Program length and stipend:
- The program runs from June 26, 2018 through August 10, 2018.
- Interns will receive a scholarship in the amount of $700.00 at the end of the program.
- Students are responsible for their own housing, transportation and insurance.
Additional Opportunities Offered(not required):
- We will also offer interns the opportunity to participate as a volunteer with APAPA at other events, including the following: College Application Workshop for high school students (early Sept), Voters Forum (late Sept/Early Oct), Holiday Mixer (Dec), and the following year’s Internship Gala (Spring).Additional Opportunities Offered (not required)
Application materials are due by April 15, 2018.
Applicants will be notified of a decision by April 30, 2018.