THE APAPA NEW YORK STATE CAPITAL DISTRICT INTERNSHIP PROGRAM(Summer 2019)
Application Deadline: February 28, 2019
The APAPA New York State Capital Internship Program is designed to prepare college students to become future leaders in our greater community. This program provides an opportunity for students to develop their leadership skills, gain public policy experience and become civically engaged.
The internship program will develop:
- Political awareness and civic engagement
- Understanding of government and legislative processes
- Professional and leadership qualities
- Networking skills
- Work 100 hours minimum in your assigned office. The hours are flexible depending on the placement office and can be distributed over the summer of the entire length of the internship program.
- Attend mandatory workshops. Workshops include leadership training, public speaking, and voter’s registration.
- Complete an evaluation form after finishing your requirements
Applicants will be selected on the basis of:
- Demonstrated leadership
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Community Service
- Grade point average
The program is open to all New York resident undergraduate and graduate college students with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Program length and stipend:
- The interns may complete 100 hours of internship between June 1, 2019 and August 10, 2019
- In past years, we have paid stipend ranging from $700-$1000 to each intern. 2019 stipend amount is yet to be determined as grant proposals to secure further funding are currently under review by the granting agency. Please check back at this website for updates.
- Students are responsible for their own housing, transportation and insurance.
Application materials are due by February 28, 2019.
Applicants will be notified of a decision by March 20, 2019